Thursday, September 17, 2009

Nightmare at temple square goes digital!


Hey-O,

Travis here again. Many, many of you have heard versions of the nightmare at temple square. A story that haunts my life has a constant reminder of going the bathroom before going out to enjoy the lights at temple square. Recently I had an assignment in my creative concepts class. The assignment was two part.

1) Using visuals I was to tell a story about a specific time in my life. The story was to have a moral as well as express a particular emotion such as panic, fear, happiness, relief etc. I fretted over this assignment for weeks. I knew I have a great story but was afraid to tell it to a group of 25 BYU students. Then I had an idea. I could use the visuals as a opportunity to tone down some of the gross details and then tell the story. So I did. I was nervous to tell the tale but must have done well because I was one of two students in the entire class to receive two rounds of applause and I was the only student to have his teacher start the first round of applause. So it went well.

2) The second part of the assignment came after we told our story and it was to create an ad based on the story. This also proved problematic because every ad I came up with was kind of offensive. But I finally settled on one that I am satisfied with.

So below are the six cards used to tell my story. They were all made on illustrator, except the second card which was made on photoshop and then moved to illustrator for printing. The bottom seventh card is the ad I made in response to my story. The ad was made on photoshop and printed from there as well. If you've never heard the story you may want to ask me to tell you sometime. Enjoy!












2 comments:

Meg and Brad said...

Looking at the ads - I'm going to need the story. ASAP. How about you can tell us over Mexican that we never did.....tell me when you and your wifey are available.

They look great by the way (coming from someone who has had to learn illustrator and indesign in days - in order to do my new graphic designer job along side my regular job)

Raquel said...

I absolutely love those designs! I have a pretty good sense of what happened from just those 6 cards. And the ad is awesome. I would buy me some Levis if I saw that ad. Just consider posting the story for those of us who don't know it. =)