Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Observation of Superbowl...a little less rigid


The date is Sunday Feb 3. Superbowl Sunday. Two days earlier I got incredibly ill and have been waiting for the flu to subside before doing my observation. Needless to say we are within a couple of hours of the due time and I have not even observed anyone yet. So all drugged up, I went to my parents house to observe my two brothers, while they watched the superbowl together. This is their story.

My victims (ahem) or subjects are Miles and Jordan. Miles is 16 with longer shaggy hair, bone thin, and is shorter in size. Jordan is 14, he has a short buzz cut, and is bigger then miles even though he is younger. They both enter the room at the same time and turn the TV on to the superbowl. They hop onto my parents bed and are limited to one side because I am there. I can tell the small space is going to be cramped for them. This will cause fights, which in turn will make for a better observation for me. Maybe there will be blood? This could be good. I secretly pull up my sketch pad and begin to take notes.

They both lay there for a minute in silence until Miles calls out to my sister's dog, “Tommy come here". Jordan, quickly says "Mr. Tommy come here." Miles looks at Jordan and says “Pretty sure, Tommy does not want to see you" Jordan responds telling him to "shut up" Miles then says "Pretty sure you stink." Jordan replies, "Pretty sure can shut up." At this point the dog jumps up by me, I smile slightly, knowing that the dog likes me better then both of them.

They both sit quite for a minute and Miles says “Who did you pick for the superbowl winner?" Jordan takes a moment to respond but eventually does. "Giants.", he's says. Miles rolls over so he is not facing Jordan and says "well the Giants are going to lose." Jordan says "Shut up." At that moment the dog stands up and runs out of the room. Miles rolls over looks at Jordan and says "Tommy ran away from you, just like Chelsea did." Miles then starts to laugh. Jordan then tells Miles to “shut up.” Jordan sits up and slugs Miles. Jordan slugs Miles twice more and says "I am going to rub my feet all over you." Jordan then begins to rub his feet all over Miles. Miles yells "Stttttoooop." Jordan stops, removes his feet, and then there is silence.

I am going to break the non-judgmental observation here for a minute to say that no crime deserves the punishment of feet being rubbed all over you. This is especially true with a 14 year old's feet. Those feet are all scarred from the battles of puberty. It's gross!

Jordan asks, "Miles did you go for the Patriots?" Miles replies "yes. Do you know who the halftime show is?" Jordan replies "yeah, it is...something, something and heartbreakers...or the heartbreak kid...or something" (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. While I think Tom Petty may be one of the uglies rock stars on the planet it is still just sad they don't know who he is.) During Jordan's mumbling his feet move over and hit Miles in the back. Miles then yells, "Jordan, if you touch me with your feet again I am going to break your toe." They begin slugging each other and mumbling stuff you can't hear. The slugging stops, and Miles says, "I don't want to watch this. Let's watch Nickelodeon" Miles begins to change the channel. Jordan yells "Don't!" He continues to rub his feet all over Mile's arm. Jordan stops and leans forward looking closely at Miles’ arm. "Whoa your arm is red now", Jordan says, "Sorry your arm is red". Miles does not seem to notice the statement or care and changes the channel to Nickelodeon. He then laughs "Ha, Zoey 101." Jordan starts rubbing his feet all over Miles again and yells "Change it back" Miles slugs Jordan and says "fine we'll watch your game" There is silence for a moment as Miles changes back the channel.

(Editors note: Zoey 101 is a show for 12 year old girls. I am deeply ashamed of my brothers for watching this. Other shows my brothers watch that bring shame to our family are Hannah Montana and the Suite life of Zach and Cody. For shame's sake!)

On TV the Fox NFL robot comes on and starts dancing. Miles says, "I hate that robot, he is so shiny and stupid". Jordan rolls over and grabs his stomach with his hands and then says "My tummy wummy hurts from my gummy wummy". Miles stares at him for a moment and then says, "Well I am leaving to watch something else." They both stop and stare at the TV and watch has a commercial comes on. The commercial is a man dressed up like a giant rat attacking some other guy for his Doritos. When the commercial ends they both start to laugh and then Miles sits up and leaves the room.

This was the observation that I...observed. It appeared to be mostly the way brothers act though. Except for the girly show and a couple of childish lines (ex. "my tummy wummy hurts" What is a tummy wummy?) My suggestion would be that Miles and Jordan spend some time acting like men. Maybe eat some steak, grunt, or watch Nascar... Yep that makes a man! Maybe they should pretend to be stunt men on a date. Worked for me...obviously.

No comments: